This is another edition of Friday Dance Party on Acorns On Glen. It’s the time where we give thanks for another week of living. We give thanks for making it through and for being able to celebrate this fact. How do we celebrate another week of living? We dance. So take a moment and be proud of the fact that you’re here and you’ve made it to another Friday. Not only you, but your family and friends as well. So, to that end, are you alive this Friday? Have you given thanks for this?
Good, now let’s dance.
Every Summer has its own song. You know, that one song that speaks for that one particular Summer season. When you hear it, you immediately identify it with what you did that certain Summer, where you went on vacation that certain Summer, who you were dating, what you were drinking, etc. I was reading Billboard.com and actually found a list of the top songs of Summer by year. Reading through the list brought back memories and also made me realize that I’m not getting any younger. The songs were ranked on each track’s performance on the Billboard Hot 100 chart during the Summer. So here’s the list for the last ten years, just to refresh your memory:
- 2000 – Bent by Matchbook Twenty – I must have been in a coma because I don’t even remember this song. Where the hell was I?
- 2001 – Let Me Blow Ya Mind by Eve featuring Gwen Stefani – Nothing bad ever comes from Gwen.
- 2002 – Hot in Here by Nelly
- 2003 – Crazy In Love by Beyoncé featuring Jay-Z – Danced to this one and thought I was hot and that I had all the moves until I saw a video of myself and realized I was an old man who had too much to drink and wasn’t very good at all. Love her!
- 2004 – Confessions Part II by Usher
- 2005 – We Belong Together by Mariah Carey – Listened to this one so much that when I hear it now I sort of cringe.
- 2006 – Promiscuous – Nelly Furtado featuring Timbaland – Still love this one and listen to it all the time.
- 2007 – Umbrella by Rihanna featuring Jay-Z – Still to this day I will belt ‘Brella, brella, brella’ for no known reason.
- 2008 – I Kissed A Girl – Katy Perry
- 2009 – I Gotta Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas – Will.I.Am is what Martko1964 Wants.2.B
- 2010 – California Girls by Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg
So what will be the song of Summer 2011? I am putting my vote in now for ‘Last Friday Night’ by Katy Perry. Yes, this would give her three Summer titles, but this song is what Summer is all about. Letting go and having some fun. She also has quite the cast of characters in this video, including Kenny G. What can be bad about that? So enjoy the rest of your Summer and let loose to this little T.G.I.F. goodie. You made it through another week and deserve to celebrate. Does anyone even wear retainers like this anymore? What do you think the song of Summer 2011 will be?